Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends, and the other begins?
-Edgar Alan Poe-
Today was a bit rough, I was driving down the street when a squirrel ran in front of my SUV. I thought I would just roll over him and he would be fine. But instead I somehow hit him. I feel so bad I killed him. I know it was an accident but I have feelings and I feel awful. I am trying to stay positive but it makes me sad when I think about what I did.
Carl was sweet and called me after and made me feel a bit better.
I have always been very sensitive and caring towards all living beings. I have been a vegan for 14 years and even walking by the meat department at Whole Foods I have to look away. I don't have a problem with people eating meat because I have never been the type to judge anyone for what they wanna eat. I just don't eat it thats all.
Ok not sure where I was going with this but. I guess I just need to let it go and move on. Like Carl said it was an accident.
Have a great day everyone.


Life Purpose

When you heed the calling of your heart, you are following your purpose. Having purpose in your life gives you the courage to do the things you are meant to do. When you are purpose driven, you have learned to listen to your intutition and never let no get in your way.
WOD 11/18/2008

"Four by Four Hundred"

Complete four rounds of the following for time:
  • Run 400m
  • Row 400m
  • 400 jump rope skips

Those are single jump rope skips folks. You may complete each round in any order. Can you finish this in 20 minutes?

My time 34:35

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for quite some time. Very inspiring! That's awesome you have been Vegan for 14 years! How does that work with Crossfit? Recently, I tried Crossfit, and I got a lot of shit for being Vegan.

kit said...

I'm sorry, hon. It happened to me, too, when my mom picked me up from the airport in Dallas last year and was driving me to her house. She went over a *bump* on a poorly lit street and I swore to her the rest of the way down the block that it was an animal until she turned back and we saw a possum in the road heaving and shaking. We were frantic about the animal clearly suffering and dying in the road- my dad ended up going out and shooting the possum so he wouldn't suffer further. None of us could stand the thought of that going on for hours. It was tough.

I don't drive, but I do know of fellow cyclists who've hit chipmunks on their bikes. It can happen to anyone.

Anonymous said...

Hi Catra, just wanted to see if you were still open to the photo story. I hadn't heard back from you so didn't know if you got my emails so writing you through your blog. Thanks. Chieko

Paulette said...

I'm vegan too, and hitting an animal would make me crazy. Great workout today!

Paulette said...

I'm vegan too, so I feel you. Great workout today!

Matthew Ruscigno said...

14 years of veganism! That kicks ass. Congratulations on that!
One time driving home from Death Valley we hit (and killed) a rabbit. Five car-less vegans in a borrowed car. We all felt bad, but the story is like the setting for a good joke, so we got over it.

Jill Ann said...

Oh, I know how you feel. I was on the way to my brother's house one time and a long haired cat jumped in front of my car. I saw it hit my wheel and roll in the ditch. I am still sad about it. The cat ended up being ok...but I will never forget that.

I'm thinking about you and that little squirrel.

Catra said...

Oh trust me huggy b I have got some major shit at crossfit for me being vegan and a ultrarunner.
They don't believe in what I do and think I'm crazy.
I have even been told and read that there are trainers that won't train vegans because they won't see the results like they would with others.
That's why i want to become a crossfit trainer. To many trainers don't understand this way of life. Look at me my body I think looks great for being a vegan. I get plenty of protein.
Cheers,
Catra

LE said...

Hi there! I came across your blog and you have some awesome workouts! Really inspiring. :) Just wondering- what is your daily diet like? I usually eat a lot of vegetarian meals, just because I prefer it (I'm not a vegetarian though). I have always wondered what a typical vegan day looks like.

:) Thanks!
Laura

Carey said...

I ran over a prarie dog while riding my bike one day, it killed me, total freak accident. However life and death are the same thing, can't have one without the other and it can be brutal. You didn't mean to kill the little guy, it just happened, you're part of the circle..

June said...

Did my benchmark workout yesterday...

21-15-9
Burpees
16kg KB swings
20" box jump

For time - 11:17 (not the greatest)

I officially despise burpees more than wall balls!

Thanks for showing me the CF light, I am hooked and loving it!!

K said...

Hi Catra,
I'm trying to be vegan these days. (www.try2bevegan.blogspot.com) It can be difficult when I feel like I have to eat RIGHT AWAY cause I'm so hungry. I'm just wondering how do you deal with that issue? I'm always tempted to eat something non-vegan because it is quick and convenient.

Thanks for the great post.