Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Why do people have to die??? I have had to deal with so much death in my life. I always wonder why. I know God has a plan for everyone, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense to me.
This weekend a fellow Ultrarunner and friend Marc Wikes dropped dead from a heart attack at age 40. he was running the Tucson Marathon. he was a picture of health a great athlete.
I met him in 2003 at Western states. We shared a house Montrail had rented for the team his x-wife Cathy is my team mate. She was running the Grand Slam that year so I got to see him at a few races. he was always so cheerfu,l and happy to help me at the aid stations because I never have a crew.
He had a great smile very warm, and he made you feel like you had known him forever.
I will never forget having a long conversation with him in Leadville Colorado in front of a grocery store. I hadn't realized up until that point he was quite the accomplished athlete. I knew Cathy was but for the first time learned about what Marc had done.

My 42 hour b-day run is dedicated to my friend Marc. He will be watching down on me with the rest of the Angeles during my run.

I will start at Mission Peak in Fremont off of Stanford av. Friday 5am will be back for my second trip out at between 1 &2am. I have three friends who are running 100k out on the Ohlone so i will stay with them. I usually run the 100k in 16-17 hours but I'm in no rush so will stay with them.
I will be back to the Mission Peak Parking lot around 8am Saturday a group will be meeting me there and we will head out to Sunol. I should be back at 2 or 3pm for the last leg of my 42 hour epic.
If you want to join me email me at catrarunner@yahoo.com and I will send you the directions and more info.
Catra Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

HI Catra SO Sorry to hear about Marc, I just read about it on the Arizona Daily Star, so sad.

We here about things like this and it's so hard in the natural to understand WHY??

ONLY comfort I can provide to you is you met him, learned more about him and you know he LIVED and LIVED with PASSION while he was here.

and unfortunately there are too many people who pass away in their late 70's who NEVER really LIVED they just kinda drifted along. (what a SHAME )

I am a believer and Marc is in a AWESOME place right now with a lot of fellow runners :-)and he will be cheering you on in a few days!

Way to HONOR him Catra and dedicate your Run this weekend to HIM! Your Awesome... (((Big HUG)))

God Bless,

Bob

Debbie said...

I am so sorry for your loss. A big hug to you. - Deb

Renee said...

So sorry for your loss, Catra. He'll definitely appreciate your dedicating your bday run to him.

Chris said...

Catra, you're right: Life is too short and God's plans sometimes don't make sense to us.

I lost my wife Barbara Szlachetka just one year ago (Nov 24th 2005) because of colon cancer. She was a great ultrarunner (female record holder at Dallas Ultracentric 48 & European record holder 48 hours / road), she also was full of life, and nevertheless she had no chance to beat this advanced cancer.

Running was an important part of life and of life quality for her.

So it's for me. We mostly don't realize this.

Shari Baby said...

Catra,
I also have dealt with a lot of death in my life. It's alwasy hard and we always question "why" - run like the wind for your friend.....it will honor his life like you said. Godspeed girl.

runrgrrl7 said...

Hi Catra,
First of all i'm sorry about the death of your friend. My best friend died this Sept. and i miss her so much. I don't understand it either, i guess if it's time for us to go, nothing will stop that. We are doing the right thing enjoying our lives now because there might not be tommorow.
I'd like to run with you this weekend but we have a family gathering. Enjoy the run and your friends, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i'll be thinking about you.

Ofie

Anonymous said...

Hey Catra,

I'm so sorry to hear about that! *big hugs!* Just keep your chin up girl! It'll be alright, just run that race like he'd want you too!

Much Love,
Whitney