Thursday, May 29, 2008

I want to be like these guys when I grow up. As most of you know it is a dream of mine to summit Everest some day. I have a long way to go. In 2009 or 2010 I would like to go through the Kumba icefalls to camp 1. I just want to feel the energy of these amazing people getting ready to do the most amazing thing.

There is hope for me if these amazing seniors can do it. Enjoy.


ExWeb Memorial weekend Everest update: Sherchan, 76, on top; Miura, 75, too; and the latest stats

image story Everest summiteers: Yuichiro Miura, 75, on the right, Mr. Min Bahadur Sherchan, 76, on the left (May 16th )

image story Yuichiro Miura and Gota Miura at Camp 2 (May 21st).

image story Yuichiro Miura on ascent to Camp 3 on Lhotse (May 23rd).

image story Yuichiro Miura at Camp 4 on dispatch to base camp (May 24th ) with Everest in the back. All images courtesy of Emili Miura/SnowDolphins.com (click to enlarge).





09:24 pm EDT May 25, 2008
(MountEverest.net/story updated 10.22 pm) 76-year-old Min Bahadur Sherchan from Nepal has become the oldest person to summit Mount Everest. The senior summited today according to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

Next up was Yuichiro Miura (75) and his team who departed Everest Base Camp (5360m) on May 20th and arrived to their last camp C5 (8300m) today at 13:50 Nepal Time (17:05 Japan Time).

In the latest update, Rodrigo Granzotto Peron reports that Miura also summited, today 26th May, at 7:33 am. With him were Kazuya Igarashi, and Noriyuki Muraguchi (on his 5th summit).

Retired soldier Min Bahadur Sherchan was aided by 12 Nepali Sherpa and after summit he plans to open a senior home. Before Everest, he had only climbed smaller peaks, according to NepalNews.

Yuichiro Miura has climbed Everest before. He skied down the Lhotse face in the 80s and became record holder as the oldest Everest summiteer in 2003 at the age of 70. Also back then, he camped at the rarely used "emergency camp 5" above the Balcony. Camping here provides a shorter distance to the summit but a prolonged stay on this altitude is a serious challenge on the human body.

In 2003 at age 70, Miura actually stayed several nights in this camp, summitted and skied down a smaller part of the Lhotse wall.

2 comments:

Old Man said...

thanks, Catra, Everest is an amazing place, fasinated with everything I read and watch about it.

very expensive proposition from what someone else who is thinking about it told me.

Catra said...

Yes it's super expensive. I have been looking into for a couple years. I of course would wait until my house sells in a couple years.
I figure I can at least do the trek through the icefalls. That cost around $9,000.
It would be worth every penny I'm sure. I love an adventure and that would be one for sure.
Catra