Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mission Peak trail maintenance . The Catulia re-route and fence installation .Both Julia and I need to get our hours in for upcoming 100's, hers Wasatch mine Angeles crest.
I came up with this project. Last year they moved the trail just beyond the creek near Horse heaven. Back to the original trail from the early 90's.
They used rocks and limbs from trees to block the short cut.
It worked for about a week.
For the past year I move rocks and tree limbs back to the short cut to block people from cutting the trail.
I do this once a week, only to have some jerks tear it apart.

I knew I need to do trail work so out on a 40 mile run with friends I decided that I wanted to build a fence to block people from cutting it at the top and bottom.
So that's what we did last Friday it the heat of the day..LOL!!!
It was very hard work. Julia and I just looked at it as a crossfit WOD.
Ranger Neil dropped off 10 logs that would be for building the fence. He dropped them about .35 at the top of the hill Thursday afternoon. Me and Julia had to carry them down to the area we did the work. He said it would take several trips. Yeah right we did not want to walk down and up a bunch so we did it in two.
Trust me it was hard.
Ranger Beth came out to help and direct us. We had a blast. Neil showed up at the end and Hiker Jerry stopped by and we used him to help us at the end.
Neil brought us some awesome fruit it was yummy.
Now when I run there I will think of our fun day.
I will head out tomorrow to run and check the fence make sure no one cut it down. Hey you never no out there. Someone seems to sabotage a lot of the hard work down out there.

Remember to think of me and Julia when you run by our fence"Catulia"
The name is Catra+Julia= Catulia together ;)

Try not to force the situation or force a resolution. If you would just wait a moment more you will be shown, or find, exactly what you are looking for. Try to use more inner guidance, in other words, your intuition or gut-feelings. You should now be evolved enough to know that you don’t always have to have all the answers or know the future in advance in order to attain success and avoid failure. Trust in yourself and the universe and everything will turn out as it is supposed to.
© Stephen Haynes

8 comments:

rodney said...

Cool site. Please visit my fledgling site-www.slowwhiteguy.blogspot.com. I'm learning the ropes, and hope to build a decent site. Great pic of you running the trail at the top of your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Catra,
In order to help you with your WODs, I invite you to build a fence in my garden!! It won't even cost you a cent!


P.S.Is the hat in the last picture the latest in safety headgear?

mindful mule said...

Thanks for giving back to the trail. Looks like fun/hard work.

209Mike said...

That's cool, Catra. Can you show us a picture or two of the finished project? Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration.

Jon said...

*LOL* I can see it now on the CrossFit HQ site:

- Today's WOD: "Catulia" - Fence Post pick-up hill repeats! -

I'm sure Coach would go for that! :-D

Off-topic...since you're not a roadie, how do you manage to NOT trip on roots on the trail? At the White River 50 this past weekend, I fell three times. First time, I laughed it off, second time I was filled with rage to finish, third time broke my spirits (and almost my leg - the bruise on my hip is HUGE!!!) as I pulled my sorry beaten body across the finish, begging for a medic.

Anonymous said...

Catra nice trail work project! Say I have a nice photo of you and Andy during TRT, (it was the first loop so you still look fresh...)
Where should I send it?

Deanna Stoppler said...

thanks cone on the head shot cracks me up! nice work girl!

Anonymous said...

Trail maintenance is fun, I'm due for some. I used to be one of the few to help Ambrose Zaro maintain the Mt. Wilson Trail in the day when I was a kid.
I,m laying off the running for a bit because my ankle is bothering me, or I'd be at the Angeles to help out, and Sunday I'm competing in the Venice Beach powerlifting championships, then off to Mesa , Arizona fire dept. to get Crossfit certified ( and check out their facilities, because I'm helping out with my fire dept. physical fitness, then off to Los Angeles city fire for a health psychology class at their training tower.
Speaking of Los Angeles city. I was @ the Edendale restaurant ( old L.A. city fire station 56, in Silverlake) for my friends:Iris Berry, Pleasent Gehman and S. A. booksigning and poetry reading. I think you'd dig on the place.