Monday, June 29, 2009

A New Day

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in, forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day, you shall begin it well and serenely. Ralph Waldo Emerson
WST 100 was a blast. I was sad that my runner got cut at Devils thumb it was not his day. I was happy Joe's wife Mylinh was still doing great. Since I was there I thought I would pace another runner. I was hanging out with Kathy D'Onofrio's BF Wayne and ask if he thought she would be cool if I paced her. He said Hell ya. She is very picky about who she will let pace her and since she likes me, and she has paced me it would be fine.
She was running 11th woman for a while and she kinda fell apart so I was happy to be able to take her home.
I picked her up at Foresthill and would pace her to No Hands where her 13 year old daughter Ruby would pace her up the hill 2 miles and I would meet them at Robie point. Kathy is amazing no mater how hard it gets she stays positive and she always encourages each runner who passes by. Her feet were hurting and she was moving slow but I knew we had time to make it before 30 hours.
She won the race in 84 & 86 and is still going strong 25 years later. Her fastest time in 18:55 with many sub 24's at WST 100 and her slowest time was in 05 ,29:55. She is a true champion how many fast and famous ultra runners would still keep going, and just finish when they use to win races? Not a lot. She truly loves to run and just is happy to still be running after all this time.

I have always idolized Kathy I have watched every video she has been in and though who in the heck is that little person. She is small but stronger then anyone that I know when it comes to pushing through whatever pain and obstacle that is dealt to her out on the trail.

We passed through HWY 49 and she came alive she started running strong and fast. She passed so many people I counted at least 16 runners. I was hanging on for dear life when she was running 7.5 min. miles to No Hands.
We met Ruby thank god. I got a break and headed to Robie to bring her home with Ruby. Poor Ruby had to run all that up hill from No Hands with her Mom.

She was running fast and we hit the track and me and Ruby fought to stay with her. She finished in 29:06 her 11 WST 100 mile finish.

Kathy I am so proud of you and you will always be my hero. I know have a new name for you. Little Firecracker. You are little with red hair and you exploded like a firecracker at the end.

In a few weeks Kathy will be pacing Andy and I at TRT I am looking forward to spending time on the trails again with my idol.

5 comments:

George Ruiz said...

Nice post Catra. It is nice to see someone who once won races fighting it out like the majority of us 100 milers. I have great respect for that. See you at TRT.

Anonymous said...

Catra, Thank you so much for pacing me!!!!! I would not have made it without you. You are so patient yet you knew exactly how to coax me along so it didn't feel overwhelming.You're really good at problem solving and very organized,and focused and fun. I had a blast with you!! I'm looking forward to TRT. Kathy D.

Anonymous said...

hey Miss. Dirt Deeva and Andy

I want too thank you both for all that got done.

I'm sorry about my little out of controlness.

Hope that did not upset you's
some times I could get dumb.

But Iwas pinned and started to really piss myseif off.

THank you both for being the best pacers out there!!!!!!

SEe you at the RImm hopefully.

ANdy great job bringing in Mylinh fighting the cut repeatedly.

Joe you were also great good luck next time.

SEe you soon wayne

K said...

aaaaahhhhh!! I wish I had known you were going to be up here! I would have liked to meet you face to face! I was asked to come watch the finish line but declined. Drats!

Maybe next year?

Hone said...

I met Kathy at the HURT this year and she was super cool. She is a neat person for sure.