Tuesday, September 14, 2010

FOCUS ON NOW............
Forget mistakes. Forget failure. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it. Today is your lucky day.

Sometimes life has a different plan and you have to roll with it.
Seems my life is having many different plans lately.

I felt pretty good coming into the race, got a massage and had been rolling out and doing trigger point on my hamstring.
I even had Dr. John Virgil do fascial stretch therapy on me. My legs were ready but was the rest of my body?

I felt great pretty much most of the way started getting a bladder infection at mile 35 I knew it was coming on and I thought great, I don't need this ;-(
I of course am always prepared for one in case. I had cranberry juice and was flushing it out by drinking tons of water.
Kathy D'Onofrio paced us from mile 55 to the school. We wasted a lot of time changing shoes and washing our feet. I think I should of just kept my shoes on that I was wearing but changed like I always do.
But for some reason my feet were more swollen and my shoes felt tight with my think socks.

We got to cavitt school around 11:40 I think we still had plenty of time to get to the next cutoff. I sat down and felt a warm gush yikes, I just started my period so I ran to the bathroom grabbed some paper towels and shoved them down my skirt.
I started having cramps really bad. The hamstring was doing ok. But my neck and shoulder were bad. I had both John and Kathy work on it.
We headed out with John I was moving ok not as fast as I would like to. At some point I got in my head that there was a cutoff at Willow creek and I thought there was no way way we could make it.
By the time I got to Hazel Bluff my hamstring started hurting I was moving slow and getting cold. I forgot my warm jacket at the school and had a thin on on.
I became very sad maybe because my hormones were out of whack with me being on my period. I never have had my period start in the middle of a race before. It usually starts after I finish.
I got to willow creek and was really cold and knew it would be colder going to the turn around. I decided to stop thinking I wasn't going to make the cutoff eiher which they extended and I would of made it since they were going to let everyone finish who made the cut off at mile 67. I was told later.
Andy asked if I wanted him to stop too, I told him to go on without me.
I wish that aid station allowed crews, because Kathy would of got me going. I know Andy was dealing with his own issues and didn't push me to go on but really it wasn't his job.
Looking back I could of kept going but I was so whacked out about not making it to Hazel bluff in time, in reality I had plenty of time. Also m
being really cold didn't help matters.

I still had fun no matter what!!! And each time I fail I become a better person I think.
I made it to mile 80 which is a long way.
It was a bad day for a lot of people but we went as far as we could and were smart enough to stop when we needed.

Getting a massage tomorrow which I need. Still working on getting my hamstring 100% its almost there.
Have a great day!!

8 comments:

KWF1112 said...

80 miles is still a heck of a run! You're a great role model for those of us just getting started. Happy trails, thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Ewa said...

It takes a lot of courage to stop. You are my hero.

RP said...

Ya know considering the monthly ills coming on and all you did most xcellent!!

Samurai Running said...

You didn't "fail" Cantra, you showed just how much of a class act you are!

Snakebite said...

Way to keep pushing on much less than ideal conditions.

Catra said...

Thank you everyone for your very kind comments. I just need to regroup and get back out there.
Life is a big test ;-)

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Hi Catra,

Sorry I didn't see you out there. I made a first attempt at RDL (quit at Rattlesnake Bar due to night running slowness and wrecked feet). My feet were in much worse shape than in comparable 50 milers, so maybe it had something to do with the heat. Even so, I had a great time. I can see why you like this distance so much.

I think you would have been ok if you'd had all the crew/pacer support you needed, but maybe your body was trying to tell you something. Good job anyway. Better luck next time.

Cynthia

Glenn Jones said...

80 miles is a loooonnnng way! Way to remain positive despite all the setback!