Monday, December 14, 2009

EXPERIENCE THE MIRACLE..............
The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.

Chimera 100-1 Ultrarunners-0 , That's right the Chimera beat us all. The weather was epic and the race was cancelled at 1pm. All the runners were on the course and we got turned around at Santiago peak and we were told to run 4 miles to Maple springs. When we got there we were asked if we were ok and told that we needed to run down to the Silverado canyon aidstation there we would be driven back to the start. We got in 38 miles.
What a nightmare for RD Steve Harvey. He did the right thing I think. The aidstation on Trabuco peak was trashed when we got there. The shelter was torn apart by the wind. I felt so sorry for the amazing volunteers who braved the Storm to make sure we were safe.
picture taken by Jacob

The weather was bad but was going to get worse that's why the race was called. Steve is an awesome RD and he was not about to let his volunteers, or runners be in danger. All of us runners are very stubborn and I know we would of not known when to quit, and may have put ourselves in danger.

I'm was very prepared yet I was feeling pretty cold up high on the ridges I was in Gortex but since I was sweating underneath I got wet.
I was happy to be out there with Andy having fun in the Storm.

Steve thank you for taking care of us, and a huge thank you to all the Volunteers out there, who were awesome. And thanks to Chris who shuttle some of us runners 2 hours back to the start.
I will be back and next time I will kick the Chimeras butt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take care of your bankruptcy yet?

21stCenturyMom said...

This is completely off topic but have you seen today's print version of the SF Chron? They have this piece about a Dr. who does belly dancing to keep fit only they are running your picture in the print version. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/14/DDHU1ALEMP.DTL

If you don't have a copy of the paper let me know and I'll scan it in for you. It's awesome!

Angela and Jen said...

My good friends Andrea and Rico were running the aid station at Santiago Peak. It sounded like a crazy day. They could not keep the tent from blowing away! Ah well, there's always next year. Jen

Unknown said...

Catra,

Yes, that was one hell of a day out there on the Chimera course.

The RD definitely made the right call. Did you see on the Chimera site today, it says that eventually NINE inches of rain fell at Santiago Peak!

I think three of those inches of water were in my so called Gore Tex shoes, so-called rain proof pants and so-called rain proof jacket!!!!

I do not regret running on that day. I actually loved running on that day. I just did not like "racing" on that day in that kind of weather.

Well, better luck to us all next year! Please say hi to Andy for me. I'm glad you both got home safely.

Very touching post about your sister as well. Thank you.

Robert