Monday, April 18, 2011

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
- Steve Prefontaine

Yes I know this picture looks odd. After all these years we have found the wrecked truck out on Mission peak. Actually I have only been looking for it for maybe 3 years. A few weeks ago I was on my run when something caught my eye in the distance. I thought could this be the mystery truck I have been looking for? The story is two young boys where driving and lost control on a sharp turn and the truck flipped and they died. I think it was around 1968-1971 that it happened.
I told my roommate where I saw it in the distance, i didn't have time to go find it. He ended up climbing down to it.
I wanted to go to it on our 20 mile run Friday so we did. What an epic to get to it. Super steep and lots of poison oak. Jerry had carved his name in the truck last time so this time he carved mine. It looks like the last person who was down there and carved their name was in 91.
We still don't know the full story of who the boys were and what they were doing out there.
We ran on a cow trail to discover a new area in the Sunol its a secret so I cant tell you where it is, but in a couple weeks the most beautiful wildflowers will be popping.
Saturday Jerry and I ran the Western Pacific marathon in Fremont. It was at Quarry lakes and followed the Alameda creek trail. I had already run 60 miles for the week and had run 20 miles the day before. I was just wanting to run it as training and planned to run 10 miles home too.
I surprised myself after not running a marathon for 10 years I ran 4:20 5th woman 2nd in my age and 16 overall.
Jerry took first in his age and 15 overall. We had a blast.
Brazen racing puts on a first class event with food every couple miles and the finish line set up was amazing. And the medals were beautiful.
Ran a total of 115 miles for the week. This week will be my last big training week for McNaughton 200 mile run. I'm feeling pretty good about running 200 miles, lets see what this week brings.
I love this last photo of me sizing up the competition. LOL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What running kit are you wearing?

Catra said...

do you mean running outfit??? I have a patagonia skirt and REI tank top. ;-))

trailturtle said...

Interesting story.
Good luck with your M200. I thought this used to be 150 miles...I must be thinking of another event (or having a Granny moment LOL). After all of your posts and pics on Mission Peak,I have it on my list of things to do now :).

Rob said...

Cool story on the truck. We always look for stuff like that when mtn biking. This fall we found an old house foundation no one remembered/had seen back beyond a couple of rusted out cars.

Great to see what your up to!

rob

Jamie said...

Will the race have aid/water stations or do you have to bring your own aid??